This workshop is asked to:
• Identify a set of key accelerator-related applications for laser technology and the scientific opportunities they create
• Assess the laser specifications needed to enable each of these key applications
• Identify technical gaps between present laser capabilities (current state-of-the-art) and the performance required for these key laser-technology applications
• Specify R&D activities needed to bridge these gaps; include an assessment of which R&D investments are expected to have the highest near-term performance benefits and be most cost effective
• Assess how the proposed U.S. R&D activities compare with global laser R&D efforts
The workshop outcome will consist of a concise report describing what laser technology developments are needed to support future accelerator applications and accelerator-adjacent applications, along with a rough timeline indicating when R&D outcomes are needed to support the U.S. accelerator program.